Star Wars fans can be awkward sometimes. Or at least I can be. I sometimes have a hard time striking up conversations or talking to people in new settings. The one thing that cures all of that social awkwardness, though, is the ability to talk to someone about Star Wars. Suddenly I feel like I can talk to people in social settings if we have that common ground.
In order to help you talk to that person who might end up being your BFF, or the girl you just know could be a Star Wars fan or that guy you’ve been nervous to talk to, I’ve compiled a list of 10 Star Wars quotes that you can use to open up a conversation.
Try it! As long as you nail the cadence and voice from the movie, it’s sure to work. They’ll recognize you as a fellow Star Wars fan and you’ll get along famously.
1. “Aren’t you a little short for a stormtrooper?” Although this works really well for any member of the 501st, they probably hear it a lot. But imagine saying it to someone not expecting it, it could be a great icebreaker.
2. “Hello, there…” Obi-Wan Kenobi in the prequels is the Star Wars equivalent of James Bond. The smooth confidence he puts into his voice when confronting General Grievous is a subtle reference to use when you first meet someone. If they recognize it off the bat, you’re set.
3. “Lock S-foils in attack position.” Imagine getting into a car or on a bus or an airplane and not having anyone to talk to. Then imagine saying this. Every Star Wars fan in earshot will be transported to the Death Star trench run and looking to you to be their new Red 5. Yes that makes them Biggs, but it’ll be worth it.
4. “Look how old you’ve become…” Admittedly, this one is risky. If you use it on, say, your mother, they might get quite upset with you. But if the person you’re talking to has seen The Force Awakens as often as you have, undoubtedly the first thing out of their mouth will be, “Something far worse has happened to you…”
5. “The ability to speak does not make you intelligent, now get out of here…” This is another risky one for the same reason as the previous quote, but fortune favors the bold. Star Wars fans will know what you’re doing and not take offense. And they might just give you a preview of their Jar Jar voice.
6. “So, what do you think? A princess and a guy like me?…” This could be taken a lot of ways, but any way you cut it, it’s a charming line for Star Wars fans.
7. “Good morning, nice of you guys to drop by!” What better way to welcome a group of new friends?
8. “We would be honored if you would join us.” When Darth Vader said it, it was menacing; you say it and it will be adorable, I promise.
9. “I thought that we had decided not to fall in love. That we would be forced to live a lie, and that it would destroy our lives…” What better way to make a new potentially romantic friend than to imply your love would be forbidden right off the bat in the mode of Anakin Skywalker?
10. “Did you hear that? They’ve shut down the main reactor…” This might be my favorite conversation opener. Just pretend the person you want to talk to is Artoo and lean in, asking if the heard that. Then finish the line like Threepio.
There are hundreds of lines you can work into conversations and these are just some of my favorite openers. You might have better suggestions and I’d love to hear them.