No doubt, May the 4th is circled on your calendar and you’re likely planning a special celebration for Star Wars Day. To really help you get in the spirit, MY M&M’S, the makers of the personalized M&M’S chocolate candies, have put together some fun — and tasty — suggestions to take your party treats to the next level.
Create customized cakes, designed to look like your favorite Star Wars characters! Simply follow the easy-to-make cake recipe below, then create colorful frosting for each character and finish with Star Wars MY M&M’S to top each creation.
Star Wars Cake
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Bake Time: 30 minutes
- 2 boxes (16 oz.) pound cake mix
- 1 ½ cans (16 oz.) vanilla frosting
- Food coloring — see specific ideas below for colors
- MY M&M’S Chocolate Candies — Star Wars blends
- 1 tube chocolate decorator’s frosting
- 1 9 x 13-inch baking pan(s)
- Prepare the cake mix according to the directions on the package. Transfer batter to a 9 x 13-inch cake pan. Bake for 30 minutes in a preheated 350° oven.
- Once the cake is completely cool, cut out the specific character shape (see below). Carefully life the shape from the pan, and place it on a platter. Brush off loose crumbs and set the cake aside.
- Using the food coloring, tint the frosting to the desired shade(s). Frost the cake in the desired design and decorate with Star Wars MY M&M’S.
To decorate the cakes:
- R2-D2 cake — Using a round cake pan, cut a straight line across the bottom of the cake to create R2-D2’s oval shape. Frost the body of the cake with white frosting and use blue and black MY M&M’S to create the control panels and buttons.
- Princes Leia cake — Using a round cake pan, cut out three circles, a larger one for her face and two smaller ones for her braids on the sides of her head (or, you can make two cakes and use one for her face and the other to cut out her buns.) Frost the cake for the face with white or tan frosting and use decorator’s icing to draw her eyes, nose and mouth. Frost the cakes for her buns with brown or chocolate frosting and finish with gold and silver MY M&M’S Star Wars blend chocolate candies to add a touch of sparkle to your masterpiece!
- Lightsaber cake — Using a rectangular pan, cut out two long rectangles, rounded at each end for lightsabers. Frost each lightsaber in your chosen colors (we recommend blue and red) and draw the handle with chocolate decorator’s icing. Place light side and dark side MY M&M’S along the handle of each lightsaber to identify the powers within.
Join the Force at www.mymms.com/starwars and tag your Star Wars May the 4th party pictures and ideas with #MYMMS.