For Star Wars fans who want a better understanding of various topics, there can be a lot of material to wade through. In The Playlist, we’ll curate select installments of Star Wars that will give you that greater understanding of a specific topic. Consider it your own Jedi Archives — or cheat sheet for your Jedi midterms.
Qui-Gon Jinn might be one of the single most important Jedi who ever lived. Though he was a rebel amidst the Jedi order, he might have been the most ideal adherent among their number. He was in tune with the living Force in a way others weren’t and he saw the good in people in a way others didn’t seem able.
Our new playlist explores Qui-Gon Jinn and his wide-reaching influence across the entire Star Wars saga.
1. Star Wars: The Phantom Menace — Our introduction to Qui-Gon Jinn was also the last time we’d see him in the timeline in corporeal form, but he sets in motion all of the major events that will shape the galaxy for decades to come — for good and ill.
2. Marvel’s Obi-Wan and Anakin by Charles Soule and Marco Checchetto — Although Qui-Gon doesn’t appear in this comic, he’s certainly spoken of in ways that could make a reader feel he’s there. The specter of his presence looms large as his old Padawan struggles to deal with Anakin, the boy Qui-Gon, with his dying breath, asked Obi-Wan to mentor.
3. Star Wars: Attack of the Clones — Listen closely and you’ll hear Qui-Gon in one of this film’s pivotal moments.
4. Star Wars: The Clone Wars (The Mortis Arc – “Overlords,” Season 3 Episode 15; “Altar of Mortis,” Season 3, Episode 16; “Ghosts of Mortis,” Season 3 Episode 17) — This three-part story explores the prophecy of the Force that Qui-Gon insisted Anakin would fulfill, but it also brings him back in spirit form.
5. Star Wars: The Clone Wars (The Yoda Arc – “The Lost One,” Season 6, Episode 10; “Voices,” Season 6, Episode 11; “Destiny,” Season 6, Episode 12; “Sacrifice,” Season 6, Episode 13) — This series of episodes finds Yoda on a journey, exploring the deepest mysteries of the Force with Qui-Gon as a guide.
6. Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith — This installment of the Star Wars saga reveals that Qui-Gon has been communing with Yoda, and informs major events of the original trilogy.
7. Star Wars: Return of the Jedi — The closing shots of this installment offer us a view of the final fruits of Qui-Gon’s labor: the path to immortality for the Jedi. Without him, none of it would be possible.
Have a favorite Qui-Gon Jinn moment? Let us know in the comments below!