The LEGO Group today unveiled the world’s largest LEGO model, a 1:1 replica of the LEGO Star Wars X-wing starfighter, in New York’s Times Square. To celebrate the upcoming premiere of The Yoda Chronicles on Cartoon Network on Wednesday, May 29, the massive replica took 32 master builders, five million LEGO bricks, and over 17,000 hours to complete. The model weighs nearly 46,000 pounds, stands 11 feet tall and 43 feet long, with a wingspan of 44 feet. The Model will “take off” for a summer landing at LEGOLAND California Resort where it will be installed through the remainder of the year.
“Just as kids love to test and hone their LEGO building skills and imaginative storytelling, our LEGO Master Builders are always testing their creative skills to top their last larger-than-life sized creations,” said Michael McNally, brand relations director for LEGO Systems. “The size and structural complexity of a freestanding model 42 times the size of one our retail sets was a challenge they could not resist.”
“Much the same way that fans can build the Star Wars universe with our LEGO sets, we are fortunate to work with Lucasfilm to build new stories, characters, and vehicles through one-of-a-kind content such as the new Yoda Chronicles miniseries launching on Cartoon Network,” said Nicholas Hort, LEGO Star Wars brand manager.
LEGO Star Wars X-wing Starfighter Model Fun Facts
- Contains 5,335,200 LEGO bricks
- Weighs 45,980 pounds
- Height: 11 feet / 3.35 meters
- Length: 43 feet / 13.1 meters
- Wingspan: 44 feet / 13.44 meters
- 32 builders spent 17,336 hours to construct; about 4 months
- Built in the LEGO Model Shop in Kladno, Czech Republic
- Is a one-to-one replica of LEGO Star Wars set #9493; The model is 42 times the size of the retail building setThe model was heavily engineered to withstand all the transportation, setup/break down and to ensure it was safe for Times Square given the subway system below and California’s seismic requirements for the LEGOLAND California Resort installation
The Yoda Chronicles is an exciting, funny and action-packed new LEGO Star Wars story told in three animated TV specials. “The Phantom Clone” will premiere on Wednesday, May 29 at 8:00 p.m. (ET, PT) on Cartoon Network with specials two and three airing later this year. In the first of three specials, a brand new character, Jek 14, will enter the Star Wars universe. Created by the LEGO Group, Jek 14 is a clone who has been “enhanced” by the Force.
Stay tuned to StarWars.com for more on The Yoda Chronicles!