For Star Wars fans who want a better understanding of various topics, there can be a lot of material to wade through. In The Playlist, we’ll curate select installments of Star Wars that will give you that greater understanding of a specific topic. Consider it your own Jedi Archives — or cheat sheet for your Jedi midterms.
For the most part, Star Wars is thought of as an adventure story. Space opera. Lighthearted. But that doesn’t mean Star Wars doesn’t delve into other genres. From samurai films and Westerns to war movies and Hitchcock, Star Wars is able to pull off just about everything. One of my favorite genres to see Star Wars take on, especially during the month of October, is horror.
For this installment of The Playlist, we put together a list of the creepiest Star Wars stories to read and watch.
1. Star Wars: The Clone Wars – “The Lair of Grievous” (Season 1, Episode 10) — The first entry on the list introduces us to General Grievous at his home. Kit Fisto and his former Padawan, Nahdar Vebb, have to infiltrate the gothic lair of Grievous and it’s creepy and amazing all at the same time.
2. Star Wars: The Clone Wars – “Brain Invaders” (Season 2, Episode 8) — Who doesn’t squirm when they think of a mind-controlling alien burrowing into their nostril and turning friends into enemies? This is exactly what Ahsoka has to contend with on an ill-fated voyage across the galaxy.
3. Star Wars: The Clone Wars – “The Zillo Beast” (Season 2, Episode 18), “The Zillo Beast Strikes Back” (Season 2, Episode 19) — What’s more horrifying than a giant, unstoppable monster rising up from the ground and attacking everyone? The Zillo Beast episodes, inspired by Godzilla and King Kong, offer a fun bit of fright.
4. Star Wars: The Clone Wars – “Massacre” (Season 4, Episode 19) — What list of Halloween-themed Star Wars would be complete without the inclusion of Nightsister Zombies? When General Grievous attacks Dathomir, Mother Talzin is left no other option to protect her home planet than to resurrect fallen Nightsisters.
5. Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith — Perhaps there is nothing more terrifying in Star Wars than the final chapter of the prequel trilogy. Watching the forces of good turn evil is heartbreaking and scary. Add in Anakin’s grim comeuppance, and homages to Frankenstein, and you have the most horrifying film in the Star Wars saga.
6. Star Wars Rebels – “Out of Darkness” (Season 1, Episode 7), “Gathering Forces” (Season 1, Episode 9) — Hera and Sabine gave us our first glimpse of terror in Star Wars Rebels when they find themselves on an abandoned asteroid base and something evil lurks in the shadows. These two episodes are sure to get you in the mood for scares.
7. Marvel’s Star Wars: The Screaming Citadel by Jason Aaron, Kieron Gillen, Marco Checchetto, Salvador Larocca, Andrea Broccardo — Have you ever wanted a gothic Dracula-style story in the confines of the Star Wars universe starring Luke Skywalker and Dr. Aphra? You should.
There are two Legends entries into the Star Wars lore that fit our theme as well, and I’d be remiss if I didn’t point them out to you:
Death Troopers by Joe Schreiber — A derelict Star Destroyer full of zombies? What more do you need?
Red Harvest by Joe Schreiber — Set in the Old Republic era, Red Harvest tells the story of the Sith Lord Darth Scabrous and his terrifying experiments with life and death that lead to a virus that can raise the dead.
Any installment on this playlist is sure to get you into the spirit of Halloween, Star Wars style. Let us know which one is your favorite in the comments below!