For Star Wars fans who want a better understanding of various topics, there can be a lot of material to wade through. In The Playlist, we’ll curate select installments of Star Wars that will give you that greater understanding of a specific character or topic. Consider it your own Jedi Archives — or cheat sheet for your Jedi midterms.
Smooth and collected, Lando Calrissian is one of the coolest characters in Star Wars. We don’t know a ton about his past, but we do have some ideas about what he’d been up to before his first appearance in the saga. We do know he used to own the Millennium Falcon and that he lost it to Han Solo in a game of Sabacc. And there was a situation in Tanaab he pulled a little maneuver in, but outside of that, we only know what he’s told us. And let’s be honest, Lando’s not the most trustworthy source. Thus, our playlist starts a little bit later in Lando’s life, chronicling his evolution from schemer to Rebel hero.
1. Star Wars Rebels (“Idiot’s Array,” Season 1, Episode 9; “The Siege of Lothal,” Season 2, Episode 1) – Lando Calrissian made his chronological debut in the Star Wars universe dealing with the crew of the Ghost. His appearances on Rebels are among the funniest things in Star Wars to date.
2. Marvel’s Star Wars: Lando – This comic book miniseries from Marvel comics, written by Charles Soule and illustrated by Alex Maleev, shows us what happens to Lando in the time after his mining operation on Lothal. It lays a lot of groundwork for where he’ll be in The Empire Strikes Back.
3. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back – This isn’t the first time we see Lando Calrissian dealing with the immense pressure of the Empire, and thankfully it’s not our last. But Lando’s selfishness certainly takes a front seat in this particular installment of his story.
4. Star Wars: Return of the Jedi – After the events of The Empire Strikes Back, Lando feels compelled to set right the mistakes he made, which leads to him working to rescue his friend, Han Solo, and eventually join the Rebel Alliance.
5. Marvel’s Star Wars: Shattered Empire – Written by Greg Rucka and illustrated by Marco Checchetto, Shattered Empire takes place immediately after Return of the Jedi and offers us a glimpse of Lando and the rest of the heroes of the Rebellion. It shows us how they work to secure the peace they’ve fought so hard for.
6. Star Wars: Bloodline – Published by Del Rey and written by Claudia Gray, Bloodline offers only a mention of Lando Calrissian, but it gives us some idea of where he ends up just a few years before the events of The Force Awakens. Will we see him in the future? Only time will tell.
Bonus: The Lando Calrissian Adventures – Although they’re now part of the Legends universe, L. Neil Smith’s trilogy of books documenting Lando Calrissian’s adventures as captain of the Millennium Falcon are incredibly fun books. You could read them after this playlist or before, but I recommend that you do so. In my opinion, they’re still very much worth your time.