For Star Wars fans who want a better understanding of various topics, there can be a lot of material to wade through. In The Playlist, we’ll curate select installments of Star Wars that will give you that greater understanding of a specific topic. Consider it your own Jedi Archives — or cheat sheet for your Jedi midterms.
For the longest time in fandom, holocrons were mythical objects that we’d heard much about. They were the keepers of all Jedi knowledge. Then we learned that Sith had holocrons, too. They were so important in keeping the knowledge of history straight, even Lucasfilm acquired one in the form of Leland Chee [keeper of continuity — editor]. Through the course of the canon, though, we’ve been introduced to them slowly over the years and they’ve become a fascinating point of mythology.
This play list will take you, chronologically, through what we know about the holocrons and just how powerful they can be.
1. Star Wars: The Clone Wars (“The Holocron Heist” Arc) — Darth Sidious wants to get his hands on a Jedi holocron, but why? Using the bounty hunter Cad Bane as his agent of evil, Sidious will stop at nothing until he has one, and has fulfilled his larger goal.
2. Marvel’s Kanan the Last Padawan Volume 1 by Greg Weisman and Pepe Larraz — This comic book series is our first visual look (save a brief glimpse in John Jackson Miller’s A New Dawn) at what might turn into one of the most important Jedi holocrons in the galaxy.
3. Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion — The kickoff to the Rebels series shows us the draw of a holocron. Ezra even steals it and is able to prove his ability to become a Jedi by opening it.
4. Star Wars Rebels (“Path of the Jedi,” Season 1 Episode 8) — In this episode, we discover a new ability of the holocrons: they contain maps of Jedi Temples.
5. Star Wars Rebels (“Shroud of Darkness,” Season 2 Episode 16) — Here, we see another use for the ancient artifacts: Training. Ezra watches Ahsoka’s old Master, Anakin Skywalker, instructing forms of lightsaber combat.
6. Star Wars Rebels (“Twilight of the Apprentice,” Season 2, Episodes 19 and 20) — We knew that Jedi had holocrons, but so too did the Sith. This episode shows us powers of holocrons that we’d never previously imagined.
7. Star Wars Rebels (“Steps into Shadow,” Season 3, Episodes 1 and 2; “Holocrons of Fate,” Season 3, Episode 3) — What the Sith holocron taught Ezra was nothing short of troubling, but what happens when a Sith and a Jedi holocron are combined?
8. Marvel’s Star Wars #9 — The next time holocrons come up in the timeline, so far, happens just a few years later. Luke Skywalker is looking for one and his journey takes him to Nar Shaddaa, the Smuggler’s Moon.
Where will Holocron’s pop up next and what secrets might they contain? Only time will tell.