For Star Wars fans who want a better understanding of various topics, there can be a lot of material to wade through. In The Playlist, we’ll curate select installments of Star Wars that will give you a greater understanding of a specific topic. Consider it your own Jedi Archives — or cheat sheet for your Jedi midterms.
One of the most stunning moments in the entire Star Wars saga is when Darth Sidious enacts Order 66. This plan to destroy the Jedi was decades in the making and many are still left wondering just how it was able to happen. In this installment of The Playlist, we’ll go through everything there is to know about the creation of the clone army, their programming for Order 66, and the stories of the Jedi and Clones who escaped.
1. Star Wars: Attack of the Clones – The first time the Republic learns that it has a clone army at its disposal, they find it a bit of a surprise. But there are secrets lurking deep beneath the surface of this film that the rest of this playlist hopes to unlock.
2. Star Wars: The Clone Wars (“Senate Murders,” Season 2, Episode 5) – Before the Clone Wars broke out, no one even realized that Kamino was a system that existed — but they were eventually brought into the Republic and given representation in the Senate.
3. Star Wars: The Clone Wars (Clone Protocol 66 Arc – “The Unknown,” Season 6, Episode 1; “Conspiracy,” Season 6, Episode 2; “Fugitive,” Season 6, Episode 3; “Orders,”Season 6, Episode 4) – Good clones follow orders… This arc takes a turn into Hitchcockian suspense to show the audience how the orders were implanted in each clone and how they might avoid it.
4. Star Wars: The Clone Wars (The Yoda Arc – “The Lost One,” Season 6, Episode 10; “Voices,” Season 6 Episode 11; “Destiny,” Season 6, Episode 12; “Sacrifice,” Season 6, Episode 13) – Since the beginning of the clone army, the name Sifo-Dyas has been at the center of its mystery. In this arc, we learn more about what happened and when — and just how close the Jedi came to discovering what was to come.
5. Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith – Execute Order 66. This is where it all happens.
6. Marvel’s Kanan Volume 1 by Greg Weisman and Pepe Larraz – Kanan Jarrus was once called Caleb Dume, a young Jedi Padawan who was chosen by a master on the eve of Order 66. Learn how he survived the ordeal in this comic series.
7. Ahsoka by E.K. Johnston – Although Ahsoka was not a Jedi at the time of Order 66, she still had to survive. E.K. Johnston offers us hints as to what Ahsoka was doing and how she and Rex might have avoided the purge.
8. Star Wars Rebels (“The Lost Commanders,” Season 2, Episode 1; “Relics of the Old Republic,” Season 2 Episode 2) – Captain Rex, along with his comrades Wolffe and Gregor, survived the war and made it all the way to Rebels. They also didn’t partake in Order 66. These episodes explain how.
After taking all of these movies, animated episodes, comics, and novels in order, you’ll have all the information there is to know about how Order 66 came to be and how many Jedi survived. Perhaps in watching them, you’ll find the clue the Jedi missed that led to their undoing.