When you’re trying to run the galaxy’s most notorious criminal empire, it always helps to have someone by your side who’s there to laugh at all your jokes. That’s why Jabba the Hutt has Salacious Crumb with him at all times, to belittle the people that need belittling.
Since Salacious Crumb’s name is so similar to a delicious dessert, it only makes sense to bake up a batch of tempting crumb cakes in his honor.
Not your traditional recipe, these actually use the crumb of the cakes to shape his face. Quite the sacrifice for a creature so self-serving.
Keep a crumb cake by your side to mock your friends or just eat him when you’re tired of his shenanigans. Either way, Salacious Crumb Cakes are the feistiest dessert this side of Carcoon.
Salacious Crumb Cakes
(makes approximately 18 cakes)
Crumb Cake Ingredients:
2 cups cake flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup light brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients:
8 ounces cream cheese
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 cup powdered sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
6 ounces peanut butter candy melts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prep a cupcake pan with liners.
- In a medium-sized bowl — whisk together the cake flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar. Add the eggs and the vanilla.
- Alternate between the whisked dry ingredients and the heavy cream.
- For the filling, stir together the brown sugar and cinnamon, and reserve 1/3 of the mixture for the topping.
- Spoon the batter into the prepped liners only to the halfway point. Sprinkle the filling ingredients evenly on top, then top off with a few more Tablespoons of batter to cover.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes depending on your oven. Let cool on a wire rack.
- Melt candy melts according to package directions, then pour into a piping bag. Place a piece of parchment onto a cookie sheet and pipe the candy melts into a 4” long banana shape; these will be Salacious Crumb’s ears. Place into the freezer to set, approximately 10-15 minutes.
- While the ears are setting, start the frosting. In the bowl of an electric mixer, make the frosting by beating together the cream cheese and butter. Slowly add the powdered sugar, salt, and vanilla. Turn the mixer onto high until the frosting is light and fluffy.
- Pipe the frosting in a triangle shape on top of the cooled cupcakes to form Salacious Crumb’s head shape.
- In a bowl, crumble up four of the cakes along with the reserved filling mixture. Sprinkle that on top of the frosted cakes.
- To make the face, pipe yellow icing with a #3 tip to make his eyes. Add the pupils with black icing and a #2 tip, and pipe the beak with a larger #5 tip.
- Add the solid ears to the sides of the face. To finish — add eyebrow, mouth, and hair details in brown frosting using a #3 tip.