- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones,
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith,
- Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back,
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace,
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope,
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi,
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens,
- Star Wars Rebels,
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars,
INSIDE A LIGHTSABER //
The lightsaber is a complex instrument consisting of a pommel cap, hand grip, control module, main hilt, focusing lens, and blade emitter, with an energy core powered by a kyber crystal. (Illustrations courtesy of Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia)
FALL OF THE REPUBLIC
Although use of the lightsaber is the mark of a Jedi, it is also used by their sworn enemies, the Sith. Typically, a Jedi’s lightsaber blade is colored green or blue. Other colors are rare but possible, most notably seen with Jedi Master Mace Windu’s purple blade. Sith uniformly use red-bladed lightsabers -- an intense, aggressive color that represents their view of the Force.
An essential rite of passage for young Jedi is the Gathering. In the Gathering, younglings go to the frigid ice world Ilum, where they search for kyber crystals to build their first lightsabers. The crystals are located in the planet’s Crystal Cave, an intimidating maze, and “call out” to the Jedi they are in tune with. Once the correct crystal has been found, younglings rendezvous with Huyang, and ancient droid who chooses the parts necessary to build a lightsaber. With everything in place, younglings complete the ritual by constructing their Jedi weapons through a graceful use of the Force.