What could be better than destroying a TIE fighter? Destroying one filled with candy, of course!
Learn how to make your own TIE fighter piñata with StarWars.com’s step-by-step guide, and help restore freedom to your Star Wars Day party.
- All-purpose flour
- Cold water
- Large, round balloon
- Silver tissue paper
- Black electrical tape
- Glue stick
- Hot Glue Gun
- Paper Towel Tube
- Foam Core Board or Cardboard
- Tape Measure
- Black marker
How to make:
- Make your papier-mâché paste: Combine 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour and 2 cups of cold water in a bowl. Mix them together. Add mixture to a saucepan of 2 cups of boiling water and bring back up to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in 3 tablespoons of sugar. Let it cool. Once cool and thick it will be ready to use.
- Inflate your large balloon. Tear your newspaper into 2-inch-wide strips (torn instead of cut will give you a smoother finish).
- Apply your first layer of papier-mâché by applying your papier-mâché paste to stripes of newspaper with your hands and placing them onto the balloon. Have your strips overlap slightly to create a stronger surface. Cover the whole balloon except a 2 inch square around the knotted end. After applying 2-3 layers of papier-mâché to the balloon, let dry for 24 hours.
- Cut your silver tissue paper into 2-inch strips. Apply the strips of the silver tissue paper to the balloon with papier-mâché paste. 2 layers or until you can’t see the newspaper underneath. Let it dry.
- Using your tape measure cut your foam core board or cardboard into two hexagons for the wings. Draw a 1/2 inch thick line from each corner; this will create the triangle areas. Fill the triangles with black electrical tape. Use glue stick to glue silver tissue paper to the empty areas between the black electrical tape triangles. (See pictures) Repeat this step to both sides of your two wings.
- Cut two 2-inch pieces from your paper towel tube. Cover them with silver tissue paper using the glue stick.
- On your balloon using a black marker draw the windows on the front of your TIE. Pop the balloon and remove it. (Be sure papier-mâché is completely dry before performing this step)
- Hot glue your paper towel tube cutouts to the center of your wings. Once dry, hot glue your wings to the sides of your balloon (one should cover the hole from where your balloon was)
- Cut two small slits into the top of your piñata to attach your string.
- To insert candy: cut a small square into the back and put in your candy. Once filled patch up the hole with silver tissue paper and papier-mâché paste.
- Once your patch is dry, it’s time to play.