Imagine you’re stranded on the ice planet Hoth, blinded by snow, surrounded by ice. Alone, afraid, you only have one option to survive and that’s to cut open a tauntaun and eat its candy innards!
Tauntauns aren’t really filled with candy, but it would be amazing if they were. These sugar cookie snow lizards are stacked and filled with candy entrails that will surely save your hunger in a pinch.
(Makes 12 cookies stacked into four pieces)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Tauntaun template
- Black icing
- Brown icing
- Gummy worms
- Mini candies
- Print and cut out a silhouette of a tauntaun, this will serve as your template for the cookies.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until combined.
- Add the egg and vanilla and just one drop of black food gel dye. You want to make sure the dough is gray and not too dark.
- Add the flour mixture, then turn the mixer on high until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Separate the dough into two and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill in the refrigerator.
- When you are ready to make cookies preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prep cookie sheets with parchments or silpats.
- Roll out the dough to 3/8″ thick. Lay the template over the dough and use a knife to cut out the cookies. You will do this three times to make one cookie.
- On one of the cookies, use a knife to cut an outline 1/4″ away from the sides. Remove the center to make a hollow cookie.
- Bake for 10 minutes and let cool on a wire rack.
- Once the cookies are cool, use icing to stack the hollow cookie on top of a solid cookie. Fill with candy.
- Use the icing to seal the top cookie onto the two other cookies.
- With a #4 tip and brown icing, add a tauntaun horn across the head. Then use a #2 tip and black icing to add eye, nostril, and arm details.
- Once the icing is dry, the cookies are ready to serve.