After five incredibly successful Celebration tattoo events, Marc Draven and I are incredibly excited to bring our Star Wars Tattoo Pavilion to European fans at Celebration Europe in Essen, Germany at the end of the month! We have a lot going on in our little area and we know that navigating your way around all the incredible Celebration events can be daunting. Trying to remember exactly what’s going on in every area is no easy feat, so to help make your Celebration tattoo experience the absolute best possible, we’ve put together this handy guide detailing all of the Star Wars tattoo-tastic goodness you can expect to find in Germany!
What You’ll Find:
- We will have 20 tattoo artists from around the world tattooing all weekend long! Visit our official page on the Star Wars Celebration VI website to check out each artist’s profile and links to their work.
- For larger pieces, we highly recommend contacting the artist you’re interested having do your tattoo in advance. Many of the artists can be contacted via their profiles in the above link for advance booking.
- We will have a selection of ready-to-tattoo flash designs of Star Wars symbols available at the show; however, we do still recommend that you have a printout of the design idea you want if you’re planning a walk-up tattoo.
- There is no fixed rate for the price of tattoos at Celebration and pricing is at each artist’s discretion. To avoid any surprises, it’s best to work out the approximate cost with the artist BEFORE you get your tattoo. And remember, it’s always good form to tip your artist afterwards as well!
- You must be 18 years or older to be tattooed at this event and ID is required for all tattoos. Parental consent for children 16+ will not be allowed for tattoos at this event.
- A tattooer’s canvas is rarely ever just the skin. Most tattoo artists are accomplished in many forms of art and we’re pleased to showcase a wide-variety of original art from our guest tattoo artists throughout the weekend. In addition, many of these original works may be for sale from several of the artists.
- Many of our artists will be participating in several collaborative live-painting and art-fusion events happening over the course of the weekend. Be sure to stop by and check it out!
- A Star Wars Celebration wouldn’t be complete without our now-legendary Star Wars tattoo competition! Taking place on Sunday, July 28 at 1:00 p.m. on the Behind the Scenes Stage, the competition is open to any contestants over the age of 18 who have a Star Wars tattoo. Contestants will enter their tattoos in one of five categories and show their tattoos to our audience and panel of special guest judges.
- Pre-registration is a must and registration cut off occurs at the end of the show day on Saturday, July 27. No exceptions!
- You can only register at the Star Wars Tattoo Pavilion Store during show hours and until Saturday at the close of the show. You will NOT be able to show up Sunday morning outside the hall to compete without prior registration.
- Pre-registered contestants must be outside the Behind the Scenes Stage no later than 12:45 p.m. the morning of the competition.
- Categories are as follows:
Small/Medium Black & Grey
Large Black & Grey
Tattoo of the Weekend
- The competition is a must-see Celebration event, so make sure to arrive early to the Behind the Scenes Stage to secure seating. Don’t miss it!
Star Wars Authors Panel!
- I’ll be in the Star Wars Collector Panel room on Friday, July 26 at 3:00 p.m. for a discussion with several notable Star Wars collecting book authors discussing everything from writing a book (including my own The Force in the Flesh), to the pros and perils of self-publishing and so much more!
Store and Exclusives!
- Be sure to stop by the Star Wars Tattoo Pavilion Store and pick up your exclusive Star Wars Celebration VI/Ink Fusion T-shirt! This shirt is strictly limited in quantity and won’t last long!
- I will have a limited quantity of The Force in the Flesh for sale at the Tattoo Pavilion Store and will be available to sign purchased copies at the following times:
Friday: 11:00 a.m. – noon, 5:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Saturday: 3:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Sunday: 10:00 a.m. – noon, 3:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- The Pavilion Store will also have free, rub-on Star Wars tattoos (while quantities last) for kids and adults alike (who just might not be ready for a real Star Wars tattoo)!
Who Are We?
Marc Draven is a tattoo artist who owns two studios in the Tampa Bay area of Florida. He began teaching himself the art of tattooing in 1992 while attending college for business and graphic design. Today he is an award-winning artist and has had his work featured by numerous media outlets. In addition to tattooing, Marc is also a media-booking agent covering tattoo, comic, movie, arts, and other entertainment conventions. For the past several years, Marc has been hosting his “Ink Fusion” tattoo events at entertainment conventions across the country. “Ink Fusion” shows the world that tattoos, movies, television, comics, and artists of all backgrounds share a common thread of self-expression — it’s the perfect result of when the worlds of tattooing and pop culture collide. Marc continues to work with some of the best pin-up, tattoo, and fantasy artists in the world and has recently been working with the legendary Stan Lee. His current tattoo focus lies in custom work, portraits, cover-ups, movie-related photo-realism, and pin-ups. He recently authored and published his first book entitled RAGE, a short story about when innocence is cut short. Marc had many of his participating “Ink Fusion” artists illustrate the book for him.
Shane Turgeon is the author of The Force in the Flesh: Star Wars Inspired Body Art and the creator of www.tattoosandtoys.com, the first website dedicated to showcasing Star Wars and other geeky tattoos. He also co-authored The Official Price Guide to Star Wars Memorabilia with Jeremy Beckett and is a staff member and features writer for www.rebelscum.com. After getting his first Star Wars tattoo, Shane realized there was a huge crossover between the worlds of tattoo and geek culture and over the years has endeavored to bring geeky tattoos to the forefront of popular culture. In 2005, he brought tattoo related programming to Celebration III and has helped increase the tattoo presence at every Celebration since. He currently owns Shades of Grey, a tattoo, toy, and comic shop, in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada and is also the co-founder and event coordinator of the Edmonton Comic and Entertainment Expo.