The Augmented Reality feature of the Star Wars app is a pathway to many experiences some consider to be… awesome, including the ability to bring 3D characters to life. Are you ready?
Here’s how to do it, no midi-chlorians necessary:
- Open the Star Wars app
- From the dashboard, tap the Augmented Reality button
- Point your device’s camera at the poster image below, either by printing out the poster or by pointing your device’s camera at it on a second screen (if you’re viewing this page on your mobile device, open it again on a computer desktop, another mobile device, etc.)
- A menu will appear onscreen displaying characters to select (the First Order stormtrooper and BB-8 from Star Wars: The Force Awakens are currently available)
- Tap a character to select
- Once the character appears onscreen in your environment, tap 1, 2, or 3 to choose different animations
- Tap the Play button to play and view the animation (featuring sound)
- Tap the Camera button to take a photo. To turn on your camera’s flash, tap the lightning icon in the upper right corner
- Tap and hold the Video Camera button to record a video of the character animation (including sound). (Video recording available only for iOS) Get creative! Try to interact with the character. Release the button to stop recording
- Once you’ve taken your photo or video, you will see 3 buttons — delete, save to your device, or share
Enjoy the Star Wars app’s augmented reality feature, and pass on what you have learned: share your photos and videos using #StarWarsApp!
StarWars.com. All Star Wars, all the time.